Whilst the percentage of people cycling to work is increasing, many people still think cycling is too risky and unsafe. Chris Boardman (Olympic Cyclist), Andrew Gilligan (Cycling commissioner for London), Rachel Aldred (Transport Lecturer) and Steve McNamara (Licensed Taxi Drivers Association) have shared their views about this issue at a Guardian Live event. Here are their solutions to encourage more cycling in London:
- Create Space (such as segregated cycle ways)
- Introduce Timed Segregation
- Start in the Suburbs (the origin of most cycle trips)
- Make yourself heard (and not just on Twitter)
- Tackle the cycle parking problem
All of these suggestions, whilst intended for London are not specific to London. We hope that London will lead the way in improving opportunities for cyclists which will filter down to other cities and towns to ensure cycling is seen as a safe and attractive option to the private vehicle.
To find out more about this, please click here.